On Tuesday I made a delicious new salmon recipe. The salmon is supposed to be grilled, but I burn everything on the BBQ and the BF wasn’t home, so I baked it instead. I don’t eat spicy food and have that gene where cilantro tastes like a bar of soap (aka AWFUL), so I omitted a few ingredients from the orignal recipe – if you want the heat, just click the link below. I also was really lacking on avocados and had no onions, so I just diced up an avocado to top it with – it just adds a fresh flavor to the salmon. Sides included brown rice with some sweet chili sauce.
I’m trying really hard to incorporate fish into my meals at least once a week! Salmon is chock-full of omega 3’s fatty acids (which are great for your heart!), helps treat osteoarthritis and inflammatory joint conditions, reduces depression, increases cardiovascular health, aids in the development of children’s brains, helps repair cell damange, and is a great source of vitamin D! Basically, it’s fantastic for you, so get it into your diet! I wasn’t a fan of fish of any sort for a long time, but the amount of amazing recipes you can find like this one really makes a difference.
The BF also made the suggestion that instead of just a rub, you could add the spices to plain Greek yogurt and make more of a marinade for some extra flavor!
Grilled Salmon with Avocado Salsa
Recipe adapted from The Cookie Rookie
- 4 pieces salmon
- 1 tbs olive oil (I used light extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
Avocado Salsa Ingredients:
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ½ small red onion, sliced
- Juice from 2 limes
- Salt to taste
- Mix the salt, chili powder, cumin, paprika, onion and black pepper together, rub the salmon fillets with olive oil and this seasoning mix
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
- Pre-heat the grill
- Combine the avocado, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and salt in a bowl and mix well, chill until ready to use
- Grill/bake the salmon to desired doneness (about 5 mins)
- Top with avocado salsa and enjoy!